Sunday, September 10, 2006

She Said It, Not Me


Minutes after getting in trouble for sneaking 11-month-old Halloween candy that had been hidden on our highest shelf, Eugenia asked me when I would let her paint her own fingernails. Sensing a teaching opportunity, I said, "Well, honey, when you're old enough that I can trust you."

"When will that be?"

"That depends on you." I silently congratulated myself for having seized the moment. "It depends on how soon you show me that you can be responsible and clean up after yourself." I wondered if her improved behavior would begin immediately or merely within days.

"I'm going to be TWENTY-NINE," she said bitterly.

Well. That's something to look forward to.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Susan said...

Ha! Ha! We are going through the exact same thing with our almost-sixteen year old. When will we be able to trust to her to make completely rational, safe, reasonable decisions? Probably when she's about twenty nine. I hate to tell you I think your girl is absolutely spot-on.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

I'm going to be twenty-nine this year, and I hope that on that magic day I will make responsible and rational decisions- and maybe even clean up after myself. Good luck to Eug! I love you all.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Michael Heggen said...

I'm 38 and I still...

Oh, never mind.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home