Friday, October 27, 2006

Everybody Loves Amy


Thanks to everyone who came to Wednesday night's MotherTalk. Amy Scheibe (who is also one of New York's top editors of literary fiction and memoir) is witty, literate, and an absolute joy to meet in person. Her novel, What Do You Do All Day?" (which was Amazon's #1 women's fiction title last year – not too shabby!) is one of those rare creatures: a commercial book with wide appeal that simultaneously deals with some of the issues that matter most to women and mothers, such as whether to work or stay home with the kids, how to take care of ourselves and remain who we are in the midst of mothering, and how to connect with other mothers in the isolation that often comes with parenthood. I rarely recommend commercial fiction, but I strongly recommend hers. Girlfriend gets it.

For more info on MotherTalks, in Portland or otherwise, visit the MotherTalk website.

1 Comments:

Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I am glad I got to be part of that conversation. Even though (as I mentioned elsewhere) I don't think Amy's book is really my thing per se, I really enjoyed her reading and the conversation with her and the other women.

I'd love to have more conversation about the issue of what is behind the upsurge in "mom-centric" events, because I both enjoy them and wonder about them as a marketing/social phenomenon.

Thank you for hosting, I enjoyed meeting you!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home