Sunday, June 24, 2007

Old/New Zen: A Lesson from Tinky and Jerry

I forgot to post my last Zen and the Art of Child Maintenance column, written shortly after Jerry Falwell's death. I've seen a lot of conservatives write affectionately about Falwell in recent weeks, but I personally don't see it as a bad thing that he'll no longer be serving as a spokesperson for Christianity.

"As a Christian I feel that role modeling the gay lifestyle is damaging to the moral lives of children," Falwell wrote in a statement [about the Teletubbies] at the time. Notably missing was any speculation as to what modeling harsh views and behaviors in the name of religion does to these same kids. Or about the damage done to our society when spiritual leaders who emphasize judgment over love serve as spokespersons for an entire religion. (I won't even get into the questionable logic that credits an asexual purse-carrying fictional character with "modeling the gay lifestyle.") By Shari MacDonald Strong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home