Sunday, July 29, 2007

8 Random Things

I have been tagged for a meme by my friend Linera. I've never done a meme before, but what the heck? Even if it does steal all my good material for when I play "Two Truths and a Lie"! So, okay. Here we go with 8 random things about me:

1. I have been in the hospital ICU unit twice: in the spring of 2002, when I came extremely close to dying of pneumonia, and in the fall of 2004, when I had open heart surgery for a condition that also very nearly killed me.

2. During my heart surgery, I was essentially "dead" for 29 minutes, during which the doctors drastically lowered my body temperature and took me off the heart-lung machine while working on a particularly tricky section of my heart.

3. As far as I can tell, I suffered no brain damage. As far as I can tell, I suffered no brain damage. (Ha ha! That was Craig's little joke after the surgery…)

4. My grandfather was a contortionist.

5. My grandfather invented the famous "Master Cleanser" lemonade detox diet.

6. I have had e. Coli. (Waaaay up there, in terms of pain; though not quite as bad as recovery from heart surgery.)

7. My husband and I adopted one of our children and had the other two via gestational surrogacy.

8. In 2005, I had a terrible, brutally painful (on par with the e. Coli) abscess/staph infection in my leg. (Left a nasty scar.)

What strikes me most about my 8 random things is how many are medically related. If I had lived in any other time, I would have died long ago, from one of scores of different illnesses. Medical technology has saved my ass so often, it's frightening. More than that, it gave me at least two of my children. (Twenty years ago, the boys wouldn't even have been possible.)

Amazing!

And now, in keeping with the theme of randomness, here are three old photos of my children, which I'm posting for no particular reason other than I think they (children and photos) are beautiful.

5 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Ady said...

Your grandfather sounds awesome. I wanna meet him.

In the spirit of justin, I think you should off the word verification =)

9:56 PM  
Blogger ShariMacD said...

Ah, sorry but those were the only two interesting things about him. He wasn't much fun to meet. It is fun, though, to say my grandfather was a contortionist!

Okay, okay...you're right. I'll try disabling the word verification. I originally turned it on because I was being stalked by a scary fundamentalist who didn't care for my lefty liberal leanings. But I'm willing to try. We'll see!

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Erin said...

Shari- When I'm feeling sceptacle of western medicine I'll think of you. I'm so happy it saved you so many times! Hope all is well and the summer is rocking!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

It turns out I do know how to spell skeptical, it just took me a few hours to figure it out. Your illiterate friend, Erin.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny Rough said...

I think this is the most interesting 8 random things meme I've read. I can't believe you were dead for 29 minutes. Any recollection of the afterlife? Glad you came back!

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home