Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Little Bit of Perspective for Breakfast

Last night I opened up my laptop and read the news about W commuting Libby's prison sentence.

"Son of a --!"

"What?" Craig asked. I thrust out the computer screen angrily. "Oh. Yeah." He nodded. "I know."

I proceeded to rant furiously about Bush's cronies and how they get away with everything.

Then this morning, I read Ben's take on the whole thing. I shook my head. While (hardened cynic that I am) I can't go so far as to echo goodhearted Ben's last, credit-giving two sentences (and, at the risk of dating myself, my saying that "Bush got it right" is as likely to happen as Arthur Fonzarelli admitting that he was ever "Wrr-rr-rrrong"), this post absolutely made me sit up and reconsider my position. Do I believe in compassion, or don't I? Do I believe in mercy only for those people I like and agree with? I'm still furious with G.W. for the horrific damage his administration has done, domestically and globally. But I'd hate to see anyone rot in jail. (Thanks for setting me straight, Ben. Give my love to Megs.)

LATER CLARIFICATION: Several hours later, after I've had time to think about it, I still think GWB is as much of a grade-A you-know-what as ever (like that was in question?). He didn't do this because he's compassionate and merciful, but because he wants his administration to get away with a bunch of $#!+. And that still royally pisses me off. But while I do think Libby's actions were inexcusable, I think of his wife and kids, and I can almost feel the relief. It's just a shame he's the only guy in the country who's getting cut a break. The ones who really suffered in this -- Valerie Plame and all the undercover operatives who worked with her -- are the ones who are up a creek. So sad, really.

2 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin Ady said...

Sharon,

thankyou for your kind words =). Guess what happens when I try to do that smiley with my keyboard in spanish mode. Here it is ¿= Pretty kewl huh?

Megans says hi!

8:37 AM  
Blogger jenbird34 said...

I'm right there with you, Shar. Ben's thoughts make me wonder if, now that it has been someone "near and dear" to GW who's been affected, ol' W may grow in his own understanding of pardoning?? I think of that political cartoon of W pulling the switch for the electric chair 131 times in his 4-yr run as gov of Texas. I'll hold out hope for Ben's perspective.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home