Monday, April 14, 2008

Hello, Internet. I'm Still Here (Barely) . . .

I'm trying to catch up after weeks of chaos: one move, a complicated remodel, lice (one of the kids), mice, sugar ants, various bouts of flu/vomiting (me AND the kids), a trip to Seattle, a sad breakup of dear friends, weeks of living out of boxes, and more miscellaneous everyday crises than I can count. My in-box has 870 emails. Is it time to declare email bankruptcy and start over? I think it just may be. More soon. In the meantime: Does anybody have my beloved, marked up copy of Sue Monk Kidd's The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, which I loaned out to I-can't-remember-who?

And in the "I Have Been Put in My Place" Department: Last night, Macky and I were talking about where he would be going to school for kindergarten next year: his Montessori preschool, or the public school. He kept going back and forth -- choosing one, then the other -- before finally giving up.

Macky: Mama, you can think about it and decide.

Me: You don't want to decide?

Macky: No. YOU decide.

Me (nodding in understanding, sounding patient and wise): It's hard to decide things sometimes, isn't it? Because there are good things in both places. In Miss Stephanie's room, you have your friend Logan. And at Alameda, there's the bus, and your sister, and it's something new. And--

Macky: No, Mama. I said that YOU can think about it. (Pause.) In your head. (Pause.) WITHOUT TALKING.

5 Comments:

Blogger stephy said...

Oh AWESOME. Judah put me in my place yesterday morning by telling me my breath smelled like "ugly spinach."
Macky is so sweet in his ring bearer tux!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Erin L. said...

Oh Man! Macky makes me melt. I am so glad you are alive and pretty much well. We send our love and will bring you a pizza if you like. I can't wait to see the remodel and the kids and you and Craig of course! Big hugs to all!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sort of beginning to wonder what had happened to you!

-Kimmo

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sort of beginning to wonder what had happened to you!

-Kimmo

1:45 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I was actually looking at people that had Quakerism in their intrests and came across your blog. Very cute story. Nice blog. :)
~Laurie

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home